This blog contains my reviews, weekly updates on immediate future publications, as well as links and information on the publishing industry today. This is mostly a learning experience for graduate school and beyond, but readers are more than welcome to join in!
I am a graduate student at Rosemont College, working towards an MA in Publishing. I’ve received a BS in Psychology, with minors in literature and history. I’m an avid reader, knitter, tea drinker, anglophile, and musician. A liberal arts life is the way to live!
Favorite Books and Genres
I enjoy 19th-century British literature, and my favorite poets veer toward the Romantics. Essentially, my personal library could be your high school/undergraduate. If I pursued a PhD in Literature, I would have focused on Victorian Studies simply so I could study the Brontes in more depth.
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
- Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (although I enjoy everything she’s written)
- Lord Byron
- John Keats
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge
I love young adult literature. As I continue in my graduate studies, I’ve become more and more fascinated with this “genre.” I think they have the most appealing fantasy and dystopian themes, and wonderful character-driven plots.
- Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
- Infernal Devices and Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare
- The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor
- Delirium trilogy by Lauren Oliver
- John Green (DFTBA)
Apart from classics and young adult, I thoroughly enjoy softer adult fantasy (in that they’re not shelved in the fantasy section of bookstores but they certainly belong in that category). I’m an absolute sucker for neo-Gothic and neo-Victorian fiction (no surprise there), historical fiction, and mystery thrillers.
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- All Souls trilogy by Deborah Harkness
- The House at Riverton by Kate Morton
- The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
- The Rossetti Letter by Christi Phillips
- The Likeness by Tana French
- Jodi Picoult (like Austen and Green, I follow her religiously)
Other Social Media
Feel free to add me on Goodreads, or follow my tumblr for photos, quotes, and random obsessions (such as Harry Potter, Downton Abbey, Hunger Games, and Sherlock). Every once in a while Quirk publishes some of my posts on their blog.
Reviews Rating Key (Goodreads standard)
★ — didn’t like it
★★ — it was okay
★★★ — liked it
★★★★ — really liked it
★★★★★ — it was amazing
Spring header photo from scarletd’s Flickr.